Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

The second Criterion Hotel was opened in February, 1897, on the same site as the first hotel. Part of the original hotel can be seen protruding at the left rear of the new building.
The Criterion Hotel: 1897—2010
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

The church when completed in 1909
100 Years of Worship: St. Andrew's Church
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

One of several small boats which were regularly seen on the Piako River was the Ahiki, owned and operated by Mr Harry Kerby. Some 50 passengers and freight were carried between the Piako River "ports" and Thames. The boat was 45ft long with an 11ft 6in. beam and a draft of 2ft 6ins. It was powered by 35—55 hp Stirling motor.
End of the Piako River Trade
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

The altar of the 1909 church
100 Years of Worship: St. Andrew's Church
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Indoor basketball became a very strong sport in Paeroa from the early 1950s through to the 1980s. Seen here is the men's championship team in 1971. Back row (from the left): Des Mathieson, Rex Cronin, Frank Treanor, Terry Shaw; front row, Gary Morris, Neil Waring, Phil Fathers.
The Year in Retrospective
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Some of the ceramic bottles with native tree names sold to fund the scheme.
Art for Trees Project
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

St. Andrew's Church as it is today.
100 Years of Worship: St. Andrew's Church
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

This kahikatea tree, thought to be the one measured by Captain Cook during his visit in 1769, was cut down about 1912 and was found to be hollow.
Art for Trees Project
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

The Criterion Hotel just days before it fell to the demolishers' hammers.
The Criterion Hotel: 1897—2010
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Mona is assisted by Great, Great Grand-daughter Alana to cut her centenary cake, with the help of Mona's daughter Marion.
A life of Love, Service and Friendships
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

The first Criterion Hotel was opened in 1875.
The Criterion Hotel: 1897—2010
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

The Grand Junction Battery at Waihi, c 1900 [battery not built till 1906 - E], with the aerial rope way connecting the battery to the mine on Martha Hill.
Inside Front Cover
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

The layout of the circuit resembles a hacksaw.
Paeroa's Battle of the Streets
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Plenty of interest shown in the "hairpin" at the entrance into the main street.
Paeroa's Battle of the Streets
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Volunteers make a start on clearing the mass of tangled vegetation to open up the Mill Stream walkway [actually the HELP Team - E].
Waihi Walkways: The First Decade
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

The busiest place on the circuit is the pits area. This is the view looking west along Francis Street.
Paeroa's Battle of the Streets
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Bushmen prepare to cut down a large Kahikatea tree
Art for Trees Project
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

The Powell Family's home on their Komata property.
Our Farm at Komata
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

The first Lemon and Paeroa bottle was built in 1968 by the Trade and Retail Section of the Paeroa Businessmen's Association as the focal point of the Paeroa Christmas promotion. This 6m high bottle followed the rocket built for the previous year's promotion. In early 1969 this bottle was dismantled and a new bottle was constructed on a small reserve near the Criterion Birdge, later named Ohinemuri Park. It was unveiled in August, 1969.
Inside Back Cover
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Looking towards the front of the refurbished St. Andrew's Church
100 Years of Worship: St. Andrew's Church
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

A team of horses pulling a large wagon of supplies for the mines outside the Mackaytown Hotel.
Early Days in Mackaytown
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

The layout of Mackaytown, 1898
Early Days in Mackaytown
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Motorcycles galore! A section of the secure motorcycle parking area on the Ohinemuri River berm.
Paeroa's Battle of the Streets
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Netherton Rugby Football Club team, 1910.
Back row (from the left): W. Morrison, A. Hill, F. Johnson, Joel Fisher, F. Roy, J. Thomas, F. Hill, R. Heappy.
Middle row: R. Hill (referee), J. Cox, Francis Fisher, Walter Fisher, Archie (Poly) Fisher, C. Wyatt (secretary), T. Johnson (president).
Front row: W. Fogley, Gordon Fisher, Amos Fisher, S. Dobson (captain), Arthur Fisher, Stan (Pat) Fisher, Alex Spencer.
Netherton Rugby Football Club
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Netherton Rugby Football Club team, 1977:
Back row (from the left): B. McMillan, B. McKain, P. Wood, M. Jones, D. G. Brownlee.
Middle row: G. McKain, P. Silvester, R. Handley, B. Dickson, K. Handley, A. P. Fitches.
Front row: R. Richards (coach), E. Furze, S. Baker, T. Pickett, K. Durbin, M. Silvester, R. Silvester (assistant coach).
Netherton Rugby Football Club
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Two young helpers planting native plants along the walkway.
Waihi Walkways: The First Decade
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Seddon Street, the main street of Waihi, c 1900.
Inside Front Cover
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

A peaceful setting along one of the walkways.
Waihi Walkways: The First Decade
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

All the spectator eyes are focussed on the speeding motorcycles along the main street.
Paeroa's Battle of the Streets
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Architect's proposed plan for the new church
100 Years of Worship: St. Andrew's Church
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Competitors head into the "s" bend in the middle of the town.
Paeroa's Battle of the Streets
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

Members of Mona Townshend's family are from the left: Back row, Allan Beattie, Marion Smith (nee Beattie), Lionel Beattie; front row, Olive Poole (bridesmaid, aged 92 years), Laura Downing (sister, aged 98 years), Mona Townshend, and Mavis Grant (her cousin, aged 102 years). In the left corner is Great, Great Grand-daughter Alana Muntzwalsh.
A life of Love, Service and Friendships
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 54, September 2010

A group of the volunteers take a well-earned rest from clearing the walkways.