Print

Often shortened to "the Rec" in the older literature.

Already established in 1894, with cycle/running oval, but little else.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 36: Waihi's Recreation Ground has always been known by that name, but in 1990 the Waihi Community Board decided to perpetuate the well known Morgan/Gilmore family name and rename it Morgan Park.

Waihi’s Band Rotunda (octagonal) was where the bowling greens are now. It shows in a 1905 photograph, and the 1942 aerial photograph. When was it removed?

View from Union Hill overlooking the Waihi Battery, and much of the ground now traversed by Mill Stream Walkway
View from Union Hill overlooking the Waihi Battery, and much of the ground now traversed by Mill Stream Walkway. Middle left is the Recreation ground (now known as Morgan Reserve) with Baker Street on its left hand edge. The water race pipe taking the water captured from Mill Stream to the battery is visible, the original tennis courts and shelter are nearer the centre of the picture. The Battery managers house is clear at centre, and to the right of that the driveway into the quarry. The large building at middle right is the New Central Hotel, on the corner of Kenny Street and Barry Road, where the children’s’ playground is now. Martha Hill with Cornish Pumphouse top right. Photo c.1906, ATL 19313.

mill str map

Mill Stream Walkway Heritage Features.

Map showing walkway, present stream alignment, Speak’s Quarry, old tailings ponds and the Waihi Battery site. Location of band rotunda and cycle/running oval are shown on mouse over.