Print

In 1987 the stream was lowered to pass beneath the ore conveyor, and trenched in to Speak’s Quarry. Previous to this the stream crossed beneath the road in a smaller culvert, still present, and fell in to the Quarry. In heavy rain this still occurs.

1942 aerial photographs show the stream running from the culvert in a small gully to the west of Speak’s Quarry. It looped quite close to the house property boundary, and may be responsible for the banks below the fence. The stream was redirected into the quarry when this gully was used as the rubbish tip. Henk Bange, Borough Engineer, says an old water race (the race that captured Mill Stream, and took it first to the Waihi Mill, then the Cassel plant, and later back to the Waihi Mill) was made use of to direct the stream into the quarry, creating a nice waterfall.

Before 1987, Mill Stream passed beneath Barry Road through this culvert. The stream bed between the culvert and Speak’s Quarry used to be a water race. Water still flows during heavy rain. 2008
Before 1987, Mill Stream passed beneath Barry Road through this culvert. The stream bed between the culvert and Speak’s Quarry used to be a water race. Water still flows during heavy rain. 2008

mill str map

Mill Stream Walkway Heritage Features.

Map showing walkway, present stream alignment, Speak’s Quarry, old tailings ponds and the Waihi Battery site. The old culvert and the water race ditch are shown on mouse over.