The photograph shows the house and extensive gardens of Mr HP Barry, Mining Superintendent, Waihi Gold Mining Company. Lost to fire, it stood where the present house stands. Many of the original landscape features remain.
The driveway runs through the centre of the picture, and is still used today. The white driveway, running from the gates to the centre of the picture, is in the right place to have been the Silverton tramway formation. This formation can be seen today, passing by the large plane trees between the house and the road. Hauraki District Council modified this area when they widened and sealed the road (Clarke Street) in 2004.
Residence of Mr HP Barry, Mining Superintendent, Waihi, then residence of Mr EG Banks (unconfirmed).
From the Annual Report to the Directors of the Waihi Gold Mining Company for 1904: In consequence of the extension of the Mine workings and their encroachment on the Superintendent's house, it became necessary to remove and re-erect it. This work has been carried out, the new site chosen being conveniently near to the Waihi Mill.
Could this be the house below?
Masonry retaining work at both ends of the culvert under Clarke Street. Where did the stone blocks come from (stripped from the Waihi Battery walls?), and when was the work done?
Mill Stream Walkway Heritage Features.
Map showing walkway, present stream alignment, Speak’s Quarry, old tailings ponds and the Waihi Battery site. HP Barry's house location and masonry retaining work at the Clarke Street culvert are shown on mouse over.