Walsh Bros'. Avro 504K bi-plane at Waihi Beach

Walsh Bros'. Avro 504K bi-plane at Waihi Beach. It was the first aircraft to land in the Paeroa area, in 1922.

Aviation and Paeroa Go Back 80 Years
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Walsh Bros'. Avro 504K bi-plane at Waihi Beach
The Bank of New Zealand, Paeroa

The Bank of New Zealand, Paeroa, on the corner of Normanby Road and Victoria Street about 1900.

BNZ Building Fire
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
The Bank of New Zealand, Paeroa
Forty-four gallon oil drums and timber pallets

Forty-four gallon oil drums and timber pallets form the stage from which the Kerepehi Brass Band entertained the large attendance at the annual Kerepehi Easter Monday Sports meeting in late 1940s.

More Memories of the Kerepehi Sports
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Forty-four gallon oil drums and timber pallets
Change shift at No. 2 shaft

Miners pose for this photograph as they change shift at No. 2 shaft. Waihi Gold Mining Company, Waihi. c. 1900. [From the picture book: New Zealand's Northern Goldfields - E]

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Change shift at No. 2 shaft
The Mudford’s de Havilland DH94 or Minor Moth.

The Mudford's de Havilland DH94 or Minor Moth.

Aviation and Paeroa Go Back 80 Years
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
The Mudford’s de Havilland DH94 or Minor Moth.
Scene at Mudford's air strip on the final "fly-in" day

The scene at Mudford's air strip on the final "fly-in" day when some 30 aircraft and 100 passengers flew in to say farewell in March, 1965.

Aviation and Paeroa Go Back 80 Years
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Scene at Mudford's air strip on the final "fly-in" day
The cookhouse was the focal point of the bush camps

The cookhouse was the focal point of the bush camps and seen here are the bushmen getting ready to travel into Whitianga for a "night on the town".

Looking Back on Early Mercury Bay
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
The cookhouse was the focal point of the bush camps
Hauraki Hotel moved from Waitekauri to Waikino in 1906

The Hauraki Hotel, after it was moved from Waitekauri to Waikino in 1906 to replace the original hotel which was destroyed by fire in 1906. Three years later, after the prohibition vote was successful in 1908, this building was dismantled and the timber sold in lots to local farmers.

Waitekauri Hotels
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Hauraki Hotel moved from Waitekauri to Waikino in 1906
Manhandling a huge kauri log with timber jacks.

Manhandling a huge kauri log with timber jacks.

Looking Back on Early Mercury Bay
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Manhandling a huge kauri log with timber jacks.
The breaking-down bench

The breaking-down bench, where the kauri logs were sawn into timber planks, before being cut into various sizes to meet orders.

Looking Back on Early Mercury Bay
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
The breaking-down bench
Kuri, a Polynesian dog

Kuri, a Polynesian dog which came to New Zealand with the Maori migration.

Rare Discoveries on Coromandel Peninsula
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Kuri, a Polynesian dog
One of the last freight trains, Karangahake Gorge, c 1974.

One of the last freight trains to wind its way down the Karangahake Gorge, c 1974.

Inside Front Cover
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
One of the last freight trains, Karangahake Gorge, c 1974.
Lola Crawford Tye: 1914 - 2012

Lola Crawford Tye: 1914 - 2012

Obituary
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Lola Crawford Tye: 1914 - 2012
Mackaytown map

A map of Mackaytown showing the sections of land owned by the early Milroy family (sections outlined in back line).

Milroys of Mackaytown
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Mackaytown map
Milroy children

Jean, Jack and Grace Milroy.

Milroys of Mackaytown
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Milroy children
Milroy family and friends

The Milroy family and friends on the verandah of their first home in Mackaytown. From the left: Alexander Milroy, Annie Milroy, George Cairns, Ann Milroy, Alfred Stream.

Milroys of Mackaytown
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Milroy family and friends
de Havilland Cirrus Moth 60 aircraft

The two of the four de Havilland Cirrus Moth 60 aircraft which landed at the Paeroa race course in October, 1929. The crews were seeking suitable landing strip in the district.

Aviation and Paeroa Go Back 80 Years
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
de Havilland Cirrus Moth 60 aircraft
Front page of the Ohinemuri Gazette, 1893.

Front page of the Ohinemuri Gazette, 1893.

Missing Ohinemuri Gazettes
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Front page of the Ohinemuri Gazette, 1893.
A map of early Paeroa

A map of early Paeroa showing the low hill (shaded) which divided the town into two areas, Paeroa (east or right) and Ohinemuri (west or left). The hill, from which Paeroa derived its name, commenced in the area of today's swimming baths and ran westwards to the Paeroa Fire Station. It was known as Fisher's Hill and was partially excavated for the main street in the late 1880s.

Paeroa's Early Beginnings
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
A map of early Paeroa
Advert from one of the major firms in Paeroa in 1893.

The advert from one of the major firms in Paeroa in 1893.

Missing Ohinemuri Gazettes
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Advert from one of the major firms in Paeroa in 1893.
New Zealand’s first airmail stamp used by pigeon post.

New Zealand's first airmail stamp used by pigeon post.

Milroys of Mackaytown
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
New Zealand’s first airmail stamp used by pigeon post.
Flo Roberts: 1916—2012

Flo Roberts: 1916—2012

Obituary
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Flo Roberts: 1916—2012
The Karangahake band rotunda

The Karangahake band rotunda (centre), Volunteer Fire Brigade bell tower (right), Talisman Mine power-house chimney (left) and in the background the Waitawheta River Gorge. c 1910. The band rotunda was purchased by the Paeroa Beautifying Society in 1922 from the Ohinemuri County Council for 50 pounds ($100) and erected in the centre of Paeroa. When the Paeroa Post Office was built in 1926, the rotunda was moved to its present site, opposite the Paeroa Hotel.

Inside Back Cover
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
The Karangahake band rotunda
Sports day on the Mackaytown Domain. c 1930.

Sports day on the Mackaytown Domain. c 1930.

Milroys of Mackaytown
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Sports day on the Mackaytown Domain. c 1930.
The opening of St. John's Tamatera Church

The opening of St. John's Tamatera Church on Thursday, May 26, 1932. The inset is Rihitoto Mataia Nicholls through whose generosity the erection of the church was made possible.

St. John's Tamatera Maori Church
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
The opening of St. John's Tamatera Church
Sylvia Plummer: 1913 – 2011

Sylvia Plummer: 1913 – 2011

Obituary
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Sylvia Plummer: 1913 – 2011
Loading a Tiger Moth top dressing aircraft. c 1950.

Loading a Tiger Moth top dressing aircraft. c 1950.

Aviation and Paeroa Go Back 80 Years
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Loading a Tiger Moth top dressing aircraft. c 1950.
Mona Jessie Townshend: 1910—2012

Mona Jessie Townshend: 1910—2012

Obituary
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
Mona Jessie Townshend: 1910—2012
A View of Paeroa from Primrose Hill. c 1939

A View of Paeroa from Primrose Hill. c 1939

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 56, September 2012
A View of Paeroa from Primrose Hill. c 1939
 
 
Powered by Phoca Gallery