A section of the large crowd attending the 1930 annual race meeting.

A section of the large crowd attending the 1930 annual race meeting.

Horse Racing in Paeroa Goes Back 131 years
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
A section of the large crowd attending the 1930 annual race meeting.
Doris Jean Spinks.

Doris Jean Spinks.

Obituaries
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Doris Jean Spinks.
The first L and P Bottle

The first L and P Bottle with Sherryl Watt in the centre of Paeroa, 1968.

Paeroa's Icon: L and P Bottle
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
The first L and P Bottle
The former National Bank gold refinery building.

The former National Bank gold refinery building.

There Was Gold Within These Old Walls
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
The former National Bank gold refinery building.
Inside the first Masonic Lodge building.

Inside the first Masonic Lodge building.

Lodge Ohinemuri NZC No. 107, Paeroa
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Inside the first Masonic Lodge building.
Past Presidents and Stewards of the Ohinemuri Jockey Club 1939

Past Presidents and Stewards of the Ohinemuri Jockey Club at the annual race two-day meeting in March, 1939. Back row: J. Ryall, M. Crimmins, J. Clarkin, F. Tierney, W. Morrison. Middle row: H. Dent, T. Considine, F. Flatt (president), J. Poland (secretary), T. Barrett, P. Vuglar, H. Bush. Front row: E. Fathers, P. Brenan (chairman), W. Towers, J. Brenan, P. Grace, W. Neil.

Horse Racing in Paeroa Goes Back 131 years
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Past Presidents and Stewards of the Ohinemuri Jockey Club 1939
James Thomas (Joe) Mathieson

James Thomas (Joe) Mathieson

Obituaries
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
James Thomas (Joe) Mathieson
Looking down one of the six brick-lined kilns

Looking down one of the six brick-lined 7m deep kilns at the Victoria Battery site. The opening at the bottom gives access from the service tunnel.

Visit To Historic Victoria Battery
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Looking down one of the six brick-lined kilns
Komata Reefs c1908

KOMATA REEFS, c 1908.  A view of the settlement from the upper valley looking down towards the Komata Reefs Mining Company's processing battery. In the foreground is the railway linking the mine to the battery.

Inside Front Cover
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Komata Reefs c1908
Komata Reefs Battery c.1908

KOMATA REEFS, c 1908. The Komata Reefs Mining Company's processing battery. Top left side is the ore train reaching its destination.

Inside Front Cover
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Komata Reefs Battery c.1908
Visit To Historic Victoria Battery

Paeroa president Lud Sparks (left) thanks members of the Victoria Battery Society for hosting an interesting visit.

Visit To Historic Victoria Battery
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Visit To Historic Victoria Battery
Margaret Aroha Turnbull

Margaret Aroha Turnbull

Obituaries
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Margaret Aroha Turnbull
Unveiling of the Owen Morgan Memorial Fountain in Gilmour Park.

Left: Rosemary Morgan greets friends on November 25 attending the unveiling of the Owen Morgan Memorial Fountain in Gilmour Park. Right: Mrs Morgan unveils and officially turns on the fountain. Assisting her, on the left, is Sel Baker, chairman of the Waihi Ward Committee, and right, Hauraki District Mayor John Tredgida.

Owen Morgan, M.B.E., Waihi's Last Mayor
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Unveiling of the Owen Morgan Memorial Fountain in Gilmour Park.
Joe Mathieson has Midnight II under full power.

Joe Mathieson has Midnight II under full power.

Obituaries
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Joe Mathieson has Midnight II under full power.
Mrs Townshend handing the volumes over

Mrs Townshend handing the volumes over to the Hauraki District Councillor, Bruce Gordon.

Ohinemuri Journals For Ngatea
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Mrs Townshend handing the volumes over
The Morgan family 1996

The Morgan family: Back row from l to r: Michael, Christopher, Matthew. Front row: Timothy, Deborah, and parents Rosemary and Owen in 1996.

Owen Morgan, M.B.E., Waihi's Last Mayor
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
The Morgan family 1996
Mr and Mrs Owen Morgan in 1989.

Mr and Mrs Owen Morgan in 1989.

Owen Morgan, M.B.E., Waihi's Last Mayor
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Mr and Mrs Owen Morgan in 1989.
The race course, 1927.

The race course, 1927.

Horse Racing in Paeroa Goes Back 131 years
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
The race course, 1927.
The annual race meeting, 1924.

The annual race meeting, 1924.

Horse Racing in Paeroa Goes Back 131 years
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
The annual race meeting, 1924.
Reconstruction of the race track, 1964

Reconstruction of the race track, 1964. The old track is seen on left, the new circuit in the middle and part of the two-hill steeplechase track on the right.

Horse Racing in Paeroa Goes Back 131 years
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Reconstruction of the race track, 1964
Reginald William (Bruce) Roberts

Reginald William (Bruce) Roberts

Obituaries
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Reginald William (Bruce) Roberts
The remains of the rock dam at the Elysian site.

The remains of the rock dam at the Elysian site.

An Elysian Place or The Hidden Basin
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
The remains of the rock dam at the Elysian site.
ST. MARY'S Roman Catholic Church, Paeroa

ST. MARY'S Roman Catholic Church, Paeroa, held special services to mark its 125th anniversary on December 8, 2006. During the 1870s the population of Paeroa grew with the rapid development of the Ohinemuri goldfields. Members of the Catholic faith joined forces and in 1881 they purchased land from the local Maori and erected St. Mary's Church on its present day site. The original church (above) was called Te Puru o te Rangi—Gateway to Heaven. It was replaced by the present church in 1968. St Joseph's School was opened in 1900 adjacent to the Church.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
ST. MARY'S Roman Catholic Church, Paeroa
The public stand under construction in the mid-1960s.

The public stand under construction in the mid-1960s.

Horse Racing in Paeroa Goes Back 131 years
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
The public stand under construction in the mid-1960s.
The Waihi Hospital c 1908

The Waihi Hospital c 1908. It was officially opened in 1903.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
The Waihi Hospital c 1908
ss Waipu on the Piako River run in 1924.

ss Waipu on the Piako River run in 1924.

Early Shipping On The Piako River
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
ss Waipu on the Piako River run in 1924.
Wharepoa Railway Station

The Wharepoa railway station after the load bank and loop line had been removed.

Wharepoa Road Railway Station
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 51, September 2007
Wharepoa Railway Station
 
 
Powered by Phoca Gallery