Opening of the Alley Memorial Park, Hikutaia, January, 1923

Opening of the Alley Memorial Park, Hikutaia, January, 1923. These four men were among the most prominent of the many who played their part in the establishment of this fine sports complex for bowls, tennis and croquet. They are from the left Mr F. Maxwell , Mr J. Elliott, both members of the first committee, Mr W. H. Alley, donor of the land from his adjacent farm and first president, and Mr Hugh Morrison, green superintendent.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Opening of the Alley Memorial Park, Hikutaia, January, 1923
Chief Taraia Ngakuti Te Tumuhia.

Chief Taraia Ngakuti Te Tumuhia.

An Unique Piece of Hauraki History
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Chief Taraia Ngakuti Te Tumuhia.
Domain Rotunda.

Domain Rotunda.

Paeroa's Band Rotundas
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Domain Rotunda.
The Domain Bowling Pavilion

The Domain Bowling Pavilion, built in 1907 and destroyed by fire in June 1999.

Paeroa Bowling Club Centenary
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
The Domain Bowling Pavilion
Farmland from Paeroa to Kopu was inundated with flood water.

Farmland from Paeroa to Kopu was inundated with flood water.

The Flood of All Floods
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Farmland from Paeroa to Kopu was inundated with flood water.
A general view of Waitekauri, c 1900

A general view of Waitekauri, c 1900. Showing in the foreground is the 40-stamp mill and cyanide plant of the Waitekauri Gold Mining Company. On the left is the huge waterwheel, the biggest in the North Island and built in the early 1880s, which was the driving power of the complete process.

Inside Front Cover

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
A general view of Waitekauri, c 1900
The original Paeroa Golf Clubhouse

The original Paeroa Golf Clubhouse on its present Rotokohu course.

Proud Record Set By Paeroa Golf Club
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
The original Paeroa Golf Clubhouse
Hikutaia Railway Station

Train Number 338, the 4 p.m. mixed from Thames to Paeroa at Hikutaia. The engine is shunting at the goods shed, the guard supervising the operations. December 22, 1947. (J. W. Sutherland photo).

Hikutaia Railway Station
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Hikutaia Railway Station
Household effects in Menzies Place

Household effects in Menzies Place waiting tobe collected and taken to the rubbish dump.

The Flood of All Floods
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Household effects in Menzies Place
Ian A. Martin.

Ian A. Martin.

Obituaries
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Ian A. Martin.
Kaihere ferry.

Kaihere ferry.

Memories of the Hauraki Plains Ferries
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Kaihere ferry.
Karangahake at the height of the gold mining

Karangahake at the height of the gold mining, c 1900 [the railway station looks to be recently completed, therefore after 1904 - E].

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Karangahake at the height of the gold mining
Karangahake c1946

Karangahake, c1946.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Karangahake c1946
Karangahake painting

Can any reader assist with the identification of this painting of Karangahake?

Please contact the Editor, 07 862 8486.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Karangahake painting
The pedestrian suspension bridge at Mackaytown

The pedestrian suspension bridge at Mackaytown was erected in 1906 to give access to the "flag station" on the Paeroa-Waihi railway line. In February, 1944, the Ohinemuri County Council was informed that the Public Works Department had no further use for the bridge and the council decided to demolish the structure.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
The pedestrian suspension bridge at Mackaytown
The Waihi Manual and Technical Block

The Waihi Manual and Technical Block, c 1900 [opened 1913 - E]. Now the Waihi Gold Mining Museum.

Inside Back Cover

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
The Waihi Manual and Technical Block
Moresby Avenue and Hollis Bush, Waihi, c 1900.

Moresby Avenue and Hollis Bush, Waihi, c 1900.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Moresby Avenue and Hollis Bush, Waihi, c 1900.
Morning assembly at the Waihi District High School, c 1900.

Morning assembly at the Waihi District High School, c 1900.

Inside Back Cover

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Morning assembly at the Waihi District High School, c 1900.
Mrs N. S. Climie, M.B.E.

Mrs N. S. Climie, M.B.E.

The First Editorial--1964
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Mrs N. S. Climie, M.B.E.
Waihi Gold Mining Company's No. 5 shaft showing the Cornish Pumphouse

Waihi Gold Mining Company's No. 5 shaft showing the Cornish Pumphouse. This structure is currently being moved to a safer position.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Waihi Gold Mining Company's No. 5 shaft showing the Cornish Pumphouse
Paeroa with Opatito Road in the foreground across to Taylor’s Avenue.

Paeroa with Opatito Road in the foreground across to Taylor's Avenue.

The Flood of All Floods
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Paeroa with Opatito Road in the foreground across to Taylor’s Avenue.
The centre of Paeroa and Belmont Road c 1976.

The centre of Paeroa and Belmont Road from the Post Office balcony, c 1976.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
The centre of Paeroa and Belmont Road c 1976.
Playing bowls at the Domain, c 1907.

Playing bowls at the Domain, c 1907.

Paeroa Bowling Club Centenary
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Playing bowls at the Domain, c 1907.
Proposed route through Paeroa from the Junction Wharf

The proposed route through Paeroa from the Junction Wharf (left) towards Waihi.

Paeroa-Waihi Light Rail Link
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Proposed route through Paeroa from the Junction Wharf
Puke ferry

Puke ferry.

Memories of the Hauraki Plains Ferries
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Puke ferry
Railway Reserve Rotunda.

Railway Reserve Rotunda.

Paeroa's Band Rotundas
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Railway Reserve Rotunda.
Rev. L. M. Rogers, M.A.

Rev. L. M. Rogers, M.A.

President's Foreword--1964
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Rev. L. M. Rogers, M.A.
The route under Karangahake township.

The route under Karangahake township.

Paeroa-Waihi Light Rail Link
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
The route under Karangahake township.
The second new clubhouse which was opened in March, 1969.

The second new clubhouse which was opened in March, 1969.

Proud Record Set By Paeroa Golf Club
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
The second new clubhouse which was opened in March, 1969.
Talisman House, c 1900.

Talisman House, c 1900.

Talisman House
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Talisman House, c 1900.
Majestic stair case Talisman House

The majestic stair case which connected the Talisman House with the main road.

Talisman House
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Majestic stair case Talisman House
The Waihi terminus in Kenny Street-Hasard Street.

The Waihi terminus in Kenny Street-Hasard Street.

Paeroa-Waihi Light Rail Link
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
The Waihi terminus in Kenny Street-Hasard Street.
Waikino from the air after the Ohinemuri River swept through

Waikino from the air after the Ohinemuri River swept through the hamlet late on Monday, April 13.

The Flood of All Floods
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
Waikino from the air after the Ohinemuri River swept through
The restored waka taurapa or stern post.

The restored waka taurapa or stern post.

An Unique Piece of Hauraki History
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 50, September 2006
The restored waka taurapa or stern post.
 
 
Powered by Phoca Gallery