Alice Kenny, 1875-1960

Alice Kenny, 1875-1960. N.Z. author, Paeroa – till late '30's.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Alice Kenny, 1875-1960
Croquet, bowls and tennis beside Karangahake School of Mines, 1907.

Croquet, bowls and tennis beside Karangahake School of Mines, 1907.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Croquet, bowls and tennis beside Karangahake School of Mines, 1907.
Early days at Tairua – Photo from Turner, Tairua

Early days at Tairua – Photo from Turner, Tairua

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Early days at Tairua – Photo from Turner, Tairua
First tennis court, Paeroa (Thorp-Puke Road, 1897).

First tennis court, Paeroa (Thorp-Puke Road, 1897).

K. Wight, M. Kenworthy, F. Wing and Leila T., D. Nicks, A. Gibbons and Eunice T., A. Kenny, Amy Gibbons.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
First tennis court, Paeroa (Thorp-Puke Road, 1897).
Flooding at Hora Hora.

Flooding at Hora Hora.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Flooding at Hora Hora.
One of the great drains at the Waikaka

One of the great drains at the Waikaka, or upper end of the swamp, showing the land valuator and engineer-in-charge of works on a tour of inspection.

The land recently drained by the Government on the Hauraki Plains is to be thrown open for application on May 13. Altogether 16,700 acres are being offered, comprising 104 first and second class sections, which are to be opened under the optional tenures of the Land Act. Auckland Weekly News, April 21, 1910.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
One of the great drains at the Waikaka
Hora Hora before flooding. Power House on left, Transformer on right.

Hora Hora before flooding. Power House on left, Transformer on right.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Hora Hora before flooding. Power House on left, Transformer on right.
Hora Hora Map

Hora Hora Map. The whole of this area is now under Lake Karapiro.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Hora Hora Map
Horse-power Days – when Waihi was lit by gas.

Horse-power Days – when Waihi was lit by gas.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Horse-power Days – when Waihi was lit by gas.
Old Waihou and Ohinemuri River Junction

[Old Waihou and Ohinemuri River Junction - E]

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968

Old Waihou and Ohinemuri River Junction
Logs in Mill Booms at Tairua – Weekly News, 1909.

Logs in Mill Booms at Tairua – Weekly News, 1909.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Logs in Mill Booms at Tairua – Weekly News, 1909.
Martha Dulcibel Nicks, 1897.

Martha Dulcibel Nicks, 1897.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Martha Dulcibel Nicks, 1897.
Mary Bullians (Walls).

Mary Bullians (Walls).

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Mary Bullians (Walls).
Opening of New Catholic School at Paeroa, April 29, 1900.

Opening of New Catholic School at Paeroa, April 29, 1900.

– Father Hackett Photo.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Opening of New Catholic School at Paeroa, April 29, 1900.
Paeroa's First Ambulance 1952

Paeroa's First Ambulance 1952

Brigade Members. Men: W. Smith, B. Gwilliam, Z. Roberts, V. Turner, J. Duncan, Rev. Fordyce, G. Spinks (Jun.). Ladies: M. Shaw, N. Lindsay, Mesdames Fielding, Turner, Terry, Sims, Brigham, R. Hare, N. Morrison, R. Mathieson, M. Bunting.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Paeroa's First Ambulance 1952
Sailor's Grave, Tairua, 1842.

Sailor's Grave, Tairua, 1842.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Sailor's Grave, Tairua, 1842.
Horse-power Days – when Waihi was lit by gas. Tanner's Hotel

Horse-power Days – when Waihi was lit by gas. Tanner's Hotel. [site of modern Commercial Hotel - E]

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Horse-power Days – when Waihi was lit by gas. Tanner's Hotel
Typical maori fishing village.

Typical maori fishing village.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Typical maori fishing village.
Waihi Past & Present.

Waihi Past & Present.

Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 9, May 1968
Waihi Past & Present.
 
 
Powered by Phoca Gallery