Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 49, September 2005
HISTORICAL MARITIME PARK MUSEUM BUILDING
This building, registered with the Historic Places Trust, started life in 1897 as the Waitekauri Post and Telegraph Office. The building contained a public vestibule with forty-two private boxes in the lobby, the Postmaster's room, an operating and postal room and the Postmaster's residence.
It was moved into Paeroa, to the corner of Waihi Road and Johnson Street (the site of the L & P Bottle today) where, in 1917, it became the field office for the Public Works Department. The office was established to take over the Waihou and Ohinemuri River Improvement Scheme in 1913 - 1914. It served as the Department Headquarters until the administration moved into the top floor of the present Hauraki District Council Building and the Works Section, to the Grey Street Depot.
After it was no longer required by the Department, it was donated to the Historical Maritime Park Society for use as a Museum where it was opened on Saturday 28 June 1980.