Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 45, September 2001
Waihi's first Catholic Church was built in 1896 by Father Hackett, the first Parish Priest of Ohinemuri, on the site now occupied by Fenn Motors. In 1901 Father Brodie became Waihi's first Parish Priest and he set about building a new church, a presbytery and a convent on the current sites in Mueller Street. (Father Brodie later became Bishop of Canterbury.)
The Sisters of Mercy arrived in 1902, travelling by boat to Thames, to Paeroa by rail and by coach to Waihi. They were the first staff of St. Catherine's Convent and they had one hundred students, an indication of the growth in Waihi at that time.
All of the original buildings have been replaced since 1967 when the first presbytery was replaced. The convent and the original school were demolished in 1974 and a new church was built in 1982.
The Centennial of the Parish was celebrated on Sunday, 18 March 2001, attended by around 250 people, including past priests and nuns who had served in the Parish, together with past and present parishioners. The function included a Mass, celebrated by Bishop Dennis Browne of Hamilton and a luncheon and speeches at the rugby club rooms.