Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 44, September 2000
Waihi South School was opened in 1909 on the Victoria Street site which now houses the Waihi Community Marae. The town's population had increased rapidly in the 1890s due to mining activities. The Central School roll topped 1000 before East and South Schools were opened. Many of the early pupils were country children from the Waihi Plains who walked or rode horses over muddy tracks to get to school, after helping with tasks on the farm.
Anniversary with an Open Day. The Celebrations commenced with a Welcome at the Waihi Community Marae. Morning tea was served and there was an opportunity to view the remaining school buildings which are now used as a play centre. After moving on to the present school site on Moresby Avenue, visitors were able to look around the classrooms and then to picnic in the school grounds. An Official Welcome took place in the afternoon and a celebratory cake was cut. The Day concluded with afternoon tea.