Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 44, September 2000
Waihi Beach School celebrated its 75th Jubilee on 11 and 12 September 1999. The programme of events commenced with a wine and cheese evening on the Friday evening. On Saturday morning there was an opportunity to view displays, followed by a luncheon, speeches and official photographs. A dinner and dance were held in the evening.
The first school room was a small tin shed which had previously been a shelter shed for campers on the bank of the creek near the current surf club site. The school started with seven pupils, the minimum required for a period of at least three months. Classes were later held in the dining room of a fish and chip shop until a one-room school was built where the miniature golf course is now sited. A second room was added in 1933, at which time the roll was about 30, many being Maori children who travelled in a covered wagon along the beach from Bowentown.
The first teacher was Miss Grey who was replaced a few weeks later by Dora Southward, whose five children boosted the roll. In 1926 Bertha Clarke (Nisbet) was appointed as the first fully trained and qualified teacher. She remained until the end of 1929, during which year an assistant was appointed for the first time.
In 1954 more land was purchased and in 1957 a new building was completed on the current site. The old two-roomed building was also moved to this site.
The school now has nine classrooms and, at the time of the Jubilee, 226 students, a full and part time staff of 15 teachers and 9 support personnel.