Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 44, September 2000
By Maureen McCollum
The Hikutaia club was started by Frank Clause of Morrinsville, the first meeting being held on 12 January 1939 in Mr G Royal's billiard room. The first president elected was Alex Duncan. Len Martin was captain of the playing teams and Mr Royal vice captain. The club colours were white shirts with four black bands. It is recorded that polo sticks cost 15 shillings each and half a gross of bamboo root balls were £5 while a gross of willow root balls were £8.15.0.
Play was held in the early years on Pat Corbett's paddock, later on Mr Duncan's paddock on Old Maratoto Road. Hikutaia produced very successful teams, with the late Tom Mellow being selected to represent New Zealand against Australia.
The club donated a number of cups for competition against Morrinsville, Waihou-Hauraki and Thames: - the Alec Duncan Cup for the most improved player, the Buchanan Cup for an annual game against Hauraki, and the Gooseman Cup for play against Morrinsville. The Tisdale & Co. Ltd Cup donated by the Hamilton firm who supplied mallets and balls was also competed for. The club continued throughout the Second World War years, with many games raising funds for the Patriotic Fund.
The club endeavoured to encourage the game at Puriri and Kerepehi, but these attempts failed. Play during the latter years was held at the Paeroa racecourse and the club provided a polo pony race of four furlongs at the Kerepehi Sports Day. The club went into recess during the late 1950s.