Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 44, September 2000
An historic Waitawheta [Waitekauri - E] house at Twin Bridges is being restored by new owners, Peter and Vicky Youngman. They purchased the house from the Jones family who have farmed at Waitekauri for more than thirty years.
The house was built in 1897 from locally milled kauri by Edward Man Corbett, a well-known mining engineer on the Ohinemuri and Hauraki goldfields. He built the forty-stamp battery at Waitekauri and later became the mine manager. It is understood that Edward Corbett was killed in a horse and buggy accident in the Karangahake Gorge before moving into the house.
Renovations included the replacement of the verandah, some piles and only a minimal amount of structural wood as the house was in remarkably good condition.
The roof was badly rusted and has been replaced forthefirst time since the house was built. Workers were surprised at the thickness of the iron which had not been exposed to the elements.
The house is the last remaining building of what was once a substantial mining village.