Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 41, September 1997
Tom Morgan, a former resident of Waihi, and brother of Owen Morgan, died in April 1997. Tom was born in Waihi in 1914, was educated at Waihi High School, Mt Albert Grammar School and the Waihi School of Mines. He was trained as a mechanical engineer in the fitting Shop of the Waihi Gold Mining Co. and because of his drafting skills, he was commissioned by the Inquiry Authority to draw detailed plans of the 1933 accident, when a mine cage carrying men, plunged down No 2 shaft.
Shortly after he moved to Wellington for employment with the N.Z. Shell Oil Co., but, not liking office work, he joined the Shell maritime staff as an engineer and he travelled the world with the company's tankers until 1958. For a time he managed a service station in Paraparaumu and later established his own station in Otumoetai. He was a keen model maker and made remarkable mining dioramas. These he donated to Waihi and they are on display at the Museum and the Railway Station.