Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 38, September 1994
By R N Payne
In 1896 Arthur Paxton Wylde went to Waikino, and selected the most desirable building siteinthe district, took out a miner's right for a residence site licence, and with the aid of a brother, built this dwelling. For many years it was the only house with a laid on water supply, and it also had an automatically flushing water closet, when they were almost unknown in the country.
As it nears its 100th year, the house remains inhabited and has been kept in original style.Itwas well built and is still sound today, which bears testimony to the fine workmanship and labour of the early settlers in this area.
Like the kauri that was planted on the front lawn upon the house's completion, it is sadly one of the few remaining links left from a bygone, but unforgettable era.