Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 36, September 1992
On the 31 January, 1992, Leigh's Pharmacy, Paeroa, closed its doors after 56 years service to the district.
Phil Leigh, with his young family, moved from Hawke's Bay in February, 1936. His original pharmacy was started in Havelock North in 1928 but suffered first in the 1931 earthquake and then the great depression. After the outbreak of World War II in 1939, Phil's wife Mollie, also a pharmacist, joined to allow Phil to undertake war work as a locum pharmacist all over the North Island.
The pharmacy prospered after the war and their son, Ted Leigh, was apprenticed to his father in 1952 and later qualified as a pharmacist to become one of four in the Leigh family covering three generations. At that time Phil's father, who had originally started as a pharmacist in Woodville in 1903, had a pharmacy at Cambridge.
Ted and Jenny Leigh, both pharmacists, moved to Paeroa in 1962 and became involved in the family enterprise, taking full control in 1973. They continued to jointly manage the pharmacy until 1985. Ted was heavily involved as Paeroa's mayor, a fulltime task. This necessitated Jenny taking full control as managing pharmacist. She continued in this position until the shop closed.
* * *
OBITUARY: PHIL LEIGH - Mr Phil Leigh died on 19 May, 1992 at Paeroa Hospital. Mr Leigh was aged 87 years. His funeral was held at the St Pauls Anglican Church, Paeroa. The Society extends sympathy to his family.