Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 35, September 1991
Over 110 ex-miners turned up in March 1991 for the Waihi Gold Mining Company's third reunion of Martha Mine workers. Numbers have increased each year since the first reunion with some ex-miners having commenced work in the early 1930's and others even earlier, while some had seen it close down in 1952.
Three buses were necessary to convey the ex-miners round the present day workings of the Mining company. Each bus load had its company guide and were able to view the Martha Mine from a vantage point pitside. Unfortunately, the heavy rain which prevented closer inspection of the modern mining operations, only added a special glisten to the ex-miners, well used to the Waihi rain. They were able to get their bearings of where the old shafts had been from the guides travelling in the buses, but complained that No. 2 shaft wasn't where it used to be.
The work going on in the field and how the modern-day opencasters were now down to the old No. 1 level was explained by the Company Information Officer, Doreen McLeod. About $110 million in gold and silver had been scooped out in the process. Ms McLeod stated that the company had carved down 70 metres and had 130 to go.
When the original underground mine had closed in 1952, almost everything was left and wheels, picks and hammers had been unearthed, as well as horseshoes, during the excavations.