Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 33, September 1989
By Margaret Wells
The first coachto come through the Karangahake Gorge after it opened, was owned by Mr. Thomas Gordon of Waitekauri.
Born in County Tyrone, Ireland, Mr. Gordon came to New South Wales in 1864. In 1870 he was married to Margaret Hunter McKenzie of Woolongong, New South Wales and came to New Zealand in 1871.
After being about five years on the Thames Gold Fields, Mr. and Mrs. Gordon settled in Waitekauri where they purchased 100 acres of land. Mr. Gordon engaged in mining in the district up till almost the date of his death in 1898 leaving five sons and five daughters.
He established a line of coaches between Waitekauri and Paeroa, and it was carried on by his sons, Will, John, Jim, Alex and Tom.
He also built and established the BoardingHouse near the Post Office at Waitekauri which occupied a very prominent position in the township.
The building was wood of two stories with a verandah and balcony. It contained over 50 rooms of which three were sitting rooms. There were 27 bedrooms and the dining room could seat 30 to 40 persons. It was a comfortable place to stay and was carefully managed by Mrs. Gordon.
NOTE: Mrs. Margaret Wellsis a granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Gordon and her father was Mr. Tom Gordon who married Miss Mary Scott of Golden Cross.