Print
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 10, October 1968

By R. P. BELL (JUBILEE BOOK)

The prosperity of Waihi as a major town in the late nineties is reflected in the fact that it boasted two rival newspapers.

"The Waihi Mines" ["The Waihi Miner" – E] was first published in Oct. 1895 and issued bi-weekly by Messrs Galbraith and Vercker-Bindon, later being taken over by James Marsden Wrigley who had been a member of the Staff. The last issue appeared on 1.3.1901.

"The Waihi Chronicle" was established in 1898 and was printed and published by Thomas Collins and William Wallnut who had come to Waihi in 1896 and was Mayor from 1923 - 1947. The paper was short-lived but Mr. Wallnut continued to be a contributor to other papers as well as to run a share-broking business near the top-left of Seddon St. (We are reproducing an old photograph showing this and the adjacent offices of Haszard and Johnston.)

The Waihi Daily Telegraph emerged on 4.3.1901, Miners' Union Day. It was advertised as an up-to-date evening newspaper priced at one penny, and printed overseas cables as well as local news reflecting the life of a thriving mining town. This paper was owned by Messrs Geddes and Blomfield and was edited and published by Mr. John Turner. Mr. W. J. Geddes was connected with the "Auckland Observer" but spent part of his time in Waihi, serving on the first Borough Council in 1902. The Telegraph was later acquired by Mr. W. H. Toy (a Borough Councillor 1915-17) who edited it for over 20 years, and on his death was succeeded by his son, Mr. W. A. Toy until the paper went out of existence in 1951. The present local newspaper, the "Waihi Gazette" dates from that year, being an off-shoot of the "Hauraki Plains Gazette" printed in Paeroa. However both Auckland and Waikato papers are now delivered daily in Waihi.