Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 8, October 1967
To-day there are many keen amateur Geologists but the early professionals who gave their lives to the study of the geo-physical mysteries of their new country did a pioneering job of great skill and difficulty. They were particularly active in this district after the finding of gold in Coromandel in the 50's, and in the Waihi Museum we have some "Microscopic Slides of Ohinemuri Gold" made by Dr. Hauesler in the early 70's.
To celebrate its 50th Jubilee in 1930, Te Aroha published a commemorative booklet in which was an article entitled "The Geological History of Thames Valley" by the late J. A. Bartrum, M.Sc., Professor of Geology at Auckland University. We gratefully acknowledge permission to reprint this together with "The Genesis of the Hauraki Plains" by the late H. D. M. Haszard, F.R.G.S. "The Ohinemuri River" by the late Percy Morgan, M.A. (the first Director of the Waihi School of Mines), appeared in a Mining Bulletin many years ago.
When you see a lonely Trig Station on a high hill top, think of the early Surveyors, among them some well known families in Ohinemuri — Thorp, Kenny and Haszard. These men were often required to help to supervise the roadmakers. Never were the old roads smooth ones, many of them being constructed with the utmost difficulty, and it behoves us to remember the days when men did the arduous work now so easily done by modern machinery.
The above matters are dealt with in some detail in this issue, and we are glad to include some extremely interesting articles on early pioneers, involving much patient research and checking of facts. They add to that source material which is the very backbone of our immediate history. It should be noted that some contributors who protested that they couldn't possibly write have proved that words come when facts, based on experience, still present a clear picture. We thank all who have helped us and acknowledge permission from the Hocken Library tousethe "Bullock Team" picture. Special thanks are due to Mr. Ray Thompson for his drawing of "The Bridge House".
We also thank Mr. H. D. London, Editor of the Whakatane "Historical Review" for a complimentary copy of their limited Jubilee Issue (1867-1967) a monumental edition of 120 pages. Articles include Geological History, Missionaries, Early Settlers, N.Z. Wars, The Matahina Power Project, Field Archaeology as well as Book Reviews and Correspondence. (We intend to follow up the reference to one "Nicholas" a very early settler who spent some time in this area and died at Hikutaia in 1888). It is with pleasure we note that our Paeroa President, Rev. L. M. Rogers M.A. is not only a contributor but has written the Editorial, having served the Whakatane Historical Society as President 1956-1961. Among messages from many prominent people there is one from the Mayor of Whakatane, Mr. R. T. Morpeth, who has roots in Ohinemuri and is connected with the Haszard family of Waihi. Here he speaks on behalf of the Whakatane Museum Appeal.
Mr. London, who receives our Journal, was particularly interested in our article concerning Rev. W. G. Parker, M.A. with whom he worked in Wellington when they were Juniors in the Public Service. He extends his sincere good wishes to Mrs. Capil who he says, has every reason to be proud of her late son.