Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 8, October 1967
By the late W. H. MOORE
(Continued from Journal 7. [Part one - E])
The nearest of the neighbouring hotels was at Mackaytown, where originally there had been no less than 15 licensed "shacks" in the days of the gold rush. Later most of these either disappeared or were used for other purposes, but the one opposite the Rahu Road turn-off, survived for some years, although it was built almost entirely of packing cases. It was conducted by Mr. Carol Nash who was responsible for planting the Mackaytown poplars, and who was a member of the Ohinemuri County Council from 1887 till his death in 1898. In the latter year the old hotel was replaced by a two storey building containing 18 rooms and accommodation for 60 guests. Behind it there was stabling accommodation for 15 horses. For the next 10 years, under the management of Mr. Harry Priston, and then Mr. Rox Woodward, it enjoyed great popularity with the travelling public, and with sporting bodies such as Cycle Racing Clubs. The flat area surrounding it was developed into bowling and croquet greens and tennis courts, while the large adjacent Recreation Ground catered for Football and other contests.
With the passing of Prohibition in 1908 the Hotel remained a boarding establishment for a time but later Mrs. Flavell lived there alone as Caretaker and conducted the local postal business. There was always the hope that the licence would be restored but when this did happen in1925 the building was transferred to Waikino where it remains.
At Karangahake there were two large hotels, the "Tramway" which was built on the far side of the river in 1880 being run by Bill Ryan, and "Montgomery's" built in the main street in 1884. Mr. Montgomery also owned the 1896 Waikino Hotel which originally had been at Owharoa. Itwaslater burned down.
In 1899 Mr. Sam Draffin a prominent mine manager, built the "Hauraki" Hotel at Waitekauri, and the "Golden Cross", also erected that year was conducted by Mr. George Archer.
NOTE re the Paeroa Brewery mentioned in Mr. Moore's former article.
The wooden buildings stood on half an acre of ground in Queen Street (now Borough Yards) and consisted of the Brewery, and a five roomed house. In 1900 a five-horse power engine and boiler provided the power for working the plant, and there was an additional boiler for brewing purposes.
For many years it was managed by Mr. Jacob Bertlesen who was followed by Mr. Goldsborough and finally it was taken over by Symonds Proprietary of Whangarei (1935-1958), with Mr. Harry May in charge and Mr. George Masters (still in Paeroa) as Chief Assistant. We are indebted to him for some further details concerning the later period. He recalls that the buildings were renovated with solid kauri timber previously used in the mines, and that the management went to considerable trouble to test all water in the area in order to select the most suitable for brewing purposes. This resulted in water from the Doherty's Creek Reservoir being chosen, and large wooden container tanks were installed near the foot of the Rahu Road at Mackaytown. "Filter Candles" were used to ensure the purityof the water which was conveyed to the Brewery, first in 400 gallon tanks and then in tanker trucks. Thence it was pumped to the top storey to gravitate to coppers below. The Brewery was the only one in the district and was proud of its products particularly its "Malted Milk Stout" which had a market all over New Zealand.