Waihi Borough Council Diamond Jubilee Booklet 1902-1962
Mrs E. M. Morgan (nee Maggie Gilmour), now nearly 80, lives with her daughter, Mrs A. R. Cleary, in Barry Road. She came to Waihi from Thames in 1893, her father, Thomas Gilmour, having been appointed the first mine manager for the Waihi Mining Company in 1890. He was closely associated with the establishment of the Waihi School of Mines and the Hospital, and was later the Mayor (1904-1907).
In 1900 her elder sister, Minnie, married the late Percy Morgan, who had been appointed the first Director of the School of Mines in 1897, while she in 1911 married Vivian, a younger brother of Percy. Vivian had been appointed Director of the School of Mines in 1905, when Percy left to join the New Zealand Geological Survey, later to become its director. Vivian remained with the School of Mines for 45 years. He was a keen athlete and represented Waihi in football, cricket and hockey. He died in 1947, aged 68.
Mrs Morgan's brother, the late Jim Gilmour, became mine manager for the Waihi Company at the age of 21 when her father retired in 1903. He was associated with the Waihi Company for 50 years.
All her life Mrs Morgan has been an industrious worker for the Presbyterian Church. She has four children, Margaret (Mrs A. R. Cleary, Waihi), Tom (Kawerau), Ella (Mrs H. E. Rowe, Auckland), and Owen (Waihi). She has 33 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.