Waihi Borough Council Diamond Jubilee Booklet 1902-1962
Mr Richard Landy, one of Waihi's oldest identities, came from Thames in 1896, and lived with his sister, Mrs Walter Brown, in their verandah cottage in the main street, some 10 feet in front of Jim Pivac's shop. When this residence was destroyed, together with about 12 other buildings, in the big fire of 1898, Mr Brown built a new house on the site where Barron's Pharmacy now stands.
In 1903, Mr Landy married Nellie Noble, a sister of Mr Jim Noble and worked with both the Waihi Gold Mining Co. and the Waihi Borough Council. He was a keen sportsman and was considered one the best footballers on the Goldfields, representing Ohinemuri for the first time at the age of 17½ years. In 1906 he exchanged football for bowls, playing in many Auckland tournaments.
His four children attended the East School and all returned at a later stage to teach there. (His memory of the past is very lucid and we could fill a book with his tales).