Diamond Jubilee of the Ohinemuri County 1885 - 1945
An Up-To-Date Town
FUTURE PROSPECTS VERY BRIGHT
To-day the town of Paeroa, situated at the cross-roads of the goldfields and the expansive and fertile Hauraki Plains, has a population of over 2250, and is the headquarters, not only of the County, but also of Government Departments for the district, and of many important firms, societies and industries. It possesses all the amenities of a modern town, has a clean, smart appearance and possesses a healthy atmosphere both commercially and socially. Its main street is a credit to the authorities and, compared with the scenes of 20 years ago, is really unrecognisable. With up-to-date sewerage, an inexhaustible supply of clear, sparkling water, and lit by electricity from Arapuni, it is a desirable place in which to live. The easy access to the famous Waihi Beach or the Firth of Thames by good sealed and macadamised roads or by rail, adds to its convenience as a centre, while those who wish for a rural aspect can have their heart's desire by travelling through the beautiful County or its adjacent fertile areas.
In the town, the visitor is welcomed and well catered for. Four splendid hotels, with every convenience, give their guests comfort equal to that to be had in any other of the provincial towns of the Dominion.
The sports bodies and clubs include the pastimes of racing, hunting, bowling, croquet, cricket, football, athletics, cycling, golf, tennis, basketball, badminton, table tennis, swimming, fishing and shooting — all well governed and open to visitors.
The social side includes the Ohinemuri Club, Masonic, Oddfellows' and Druids' Lodges, Rotary Club, Caledonian Society, branch of the Plunket Society, a troop of Boy Scouts and Girl Guides, an Old Pupils' Association, many bridge clubs, and musical and dramatic organisations.
One of the outstanding features the visitor notices is the picturesque Domain which includes the sports area. This Domain is well set out and contains numerous beautiful trees and shrubs with name-plates of many and rare varieties. An idle hour or two is well spent in these surroundings. Another portion of the Domain is Kakaipo Hill, commonly referred to as Primrose Hill, due to the fact that over 60 years ago some people named Primrose lived adjacent thereto.
On this hill stands the War Memorial for the district, a replica of the London Cenotaph, and nearby is the memorial erected in memory of Sergeant-Major Bradford, the first New Zealand soldier to fall in the South African War. From this viewpoint, lovely panoramic views of Paeroa and the surrounding country, including the Hauraki Plains, can be enjoyed.
The Paeroa Volunteer Fire Brigade, which has done valuable service for over 50 years, has its headquarters in a well-equipped station at the western entrance of the Domain. An up-to-date fire engine was added to the equipment last year.
An Agricultural and Pastoral Association, a Returned Services' Association, up-to-date maternity hospitals, a swimming bath, and a band, all fill their part in the scheme of things at Paeroa. The word "Paeroa," by the way, is the Maori meaning of "east wind," also "the wind that blows along the shore."